TOMB TINTORETTO

1518-1594

Tintoretto was interred in this chapel in 1873, years after his death. It is not known the chapels’ use prior to this time.
Jacopo died at the age of 75 in 1594 from a fever.

Before his death in 1594 Tintoretto expressed his wish to be buried with his father in law Marco Episopi (De Vescovi) here, in his parish church. Marco was buried below the 16th century organ in the central nave. When Tintoretto’s daughter died in 1590 before he did, she was buried there too and later his son Domenico who died in 1635.

In 1864, When Venice was under Austrian control, a restorer named von Schmit wanted to restore the church to its Gothic appearance. He started by restoring the floor and moving all the tombstones.

In 1866, while renovating the floor underneath the organ, 4 skeletons were found lying in the pit of Vescovi’s tomb. They were identified as the Tintoretto’s.

In 1873, a specially prepared side chapel was made ready for the remains of the Tintoretto family.

At first, the remains were placed in one of the side walls.

In 1937 the bodies were moved once again to the floor tomb.

The tomb of Tintoretto’s father in law (Marco Episopi De Vescovi) can be found on the floor in the Mauro chapel.

THE TOMB

pointer
×

1. WALL PLAQUE

The bones moved at least 3 times in the church.
1. In 1594, when Tintoretto died he requested to be buried with his father in law.
2. In 1866, during renovations, the bones were found under the organ in the central nave.
3. In 1837, a side chapel was designated for the remains.
4. They were moved to one of the side walls, not sure when or which wall
5. In 1937, the remains were moved to the current floor tomb.

This plaque and the 2 underneath are what is left from before the floor tomb was made in 1937. They commemorate the Tintoretto family. It looks like at one time, at least one of the plaques were on the floor on the left side of the chapel. The biggest one reads:

the ashes of sturdy Jacopos
immortal with the name of Tintoretto
in those of the children Maria and Domenico
and by his father-in-law Marco Vescovi
than in another part of the church
in the same ark they rested
the municipality of venice
here
in the year MDCCCLXVI (1866)
he wanted answers

Is this true? Can it be seen today still?
In 1930, new restorations eliminated the neo-Gothic references in the Tintoretto chapel and a large plaque on the left wall was moved outside the church, in the field towards the canal, where the names of the fallen of the world wars are now engraved.

pointer
×

3. FLOOR TOMB

The family was moved once more in 1937. From the wall, the urn was transferred to the centre of the chapel floor and sealed with a plaque written in Latin. At the base of the terra cotta statue is a plaque commemorating the event.

pointer
×

4. PLAQUE UNDER BUST

This plaque under the statue commemorates the move of the remains from an urn behind the wall to the floor tomb in 1937

pointer
×

2. BUST OF TINTORETTO

By Napoleone Martinuzzi in 1938

THE ARTIST